How to choose the name of your company? Here are some suggestions:
- Chose a name that would be simple, short and memorable/ recognisable
- Avoid the names of founders in the name of the company (It is easier for employees, other share holders etc to identify with the company if one person’s name does not stand out)
- Avoid complex acronyms and abbreviations
- Avoid narrowly describing scope of activities of the company by inserting text that describes nature of activities. For example, words like “trading”, “travel”, etc in the company name specify the nature of work or industry. What if your focus changes as the business idea evolves?
- Check to see who else is using such names or has already blocked it. See links below.
Here are sites which new and budding entrepreneurs in India can use to arrive at their company’s name.
Websites to use for checking availability of names:
- Company names at Ministry of Corporate Affairs website: http://www.mca.gov.in/MCA21/Master_data.html
- Trademark search in India: https://ipindiaonline.gov.in/tmrpublicsearch/ (Selecting the TM Class: https://ipindiaonline.gov.in/tmrpublicsearch/classfication_goods_service.htm )
- Domain name for website: http://www.dreamhost.com/domains/